Hello. Day 9. Rest day in Boise. 10.4 miles. 118 feet of climbing.
An “active recovery” day, so Dave and I did a leisurely ride along the Greenbelt beside the Boise River. Part of the Greenbelt trail was closed due to high water. It’s a wide river and the current was ripping along. Stopped at George’s Cycle Shop (huge), and we each bought mirrors that attach to our glasses. Other riders, and the leaders strongly recommended them.
Back at the hotel, met up with a new rider, Ted, and Alan, and we biked to 10 Barrel Brewing to use the (wonderful!) gift certificate from neighbors Peter and Rachel.
Now a nap is in my future.
Several of you said you liked the Q and As, so here are a few more. And by the way, please feel free to send any questions you have.
What’s your pre-ride routine?
- Up by 4:45-5:15, depending on when breakfast is. It’s been either 5:30 or 6.
- Back to the room to put on our kit, apply chamois cream and sun screen, take chilled water bottles from the fridge, pack up and head to the luggage van. One trip—with backpack, suitcase on wheels and bike.
- Hand off luggage to staff in the BAT van (Big Ass Trailer) at 6:30 or 7. We are in 2nd group to leave, about an hour after the first (and slower) riders have departed.
- Turn on Garmin 1000 device that has navigation map, speed, distance, elevation gain, grade and about 4,000 other data points (!).
- Make sure our typed cue sheet is folded over our handle-bars and clipped.
- Head out.
What do I wear on the ride?
- Sleeveless, mesh “undershirt” that helps wick sweat
- Jersey, bib shorts, “hip” shorts that go over bib shorts, that have dense foam pads to protect (fragile) hips.
- “Sun sleeves” that allegedly wick moisture and provide cooling, plus protection from sun.
- Cap underneath helmet for sun protection and absorbs sweat.
Two from our Grand Junction poet, Kate:
So now you’ve crossed state lines to Boise.
Hope your evening is quiet not noisy.
And that the coming day of rest
From this coast-to-coast test
Will return you to your equipoisie.
Roses are red.
On bikes you 2 fly.
Since today you take a break
Well, by God, so will I (…not)